Skip to content

Self-employed -You are legally required to register within 3 months
Landlords - Making money from rent?
E-traders - Making money selling online?

Do you need to declare income for tax?

Not sure where you stand?

In general, to be self-employed means that you are in business for yourself and you are responsible for the success or failure of the business. To be employed means that you work for someone else and the risks of running the business are not down to you.

You may be self-employed and do not realise it. If you are self-employed, you must register to let us know within three months of starting your business, or you could pay a penalty. It's the law.

Unsure whether you are self-employed?

Work out now if you qualify as self-employed for tax purposes

Are you getting extra income from renting out rooms?

You may or may not have to declare this for tax purposes. Find out here

Are you selling on sites like eBay?

Find out here if you are liable for tax as an e-trader

Need more help?

If you are still unsure about your employment status, we recommend that you use our online tool, the Employment Status Indicator (ESI). It is free and easy to use and on average gives an outcome, with an explanation, in less than ten minutes.

You can find out more from the ESI